A few days ago, I decided to take a solitude day. I've been missing Wilmington like crazy, so I decided to spend a day in my favorite North Carolina City. The drive to Wilmington started around 10:30 a.m. When I arrived, I took a nice long stroll on the River Walk and had a quiet lunch with a new book. I walked back down the River Walk and indulged in a strawberry ice cream cone. I watched the boats drive by as I sat in the sunshine enjoying my strawberry treat. Around 2:00 p.m. I hopped in my car and drove to Wrightsville Beach to see the sea and try to find the little hidden treasure I had heard tales of...
After driving North, parking and walking behind the beach dunes in true adventurer style, I came to a bend. As I walked around the bend and over the top of a small dune, I spotted the mailbox in all its quaint glory.
Small wooden stairs, covered in seashells surround the special mailbox. A tree with seashells and other various objects dangling from it's limbs sits to one side. A tattered boat cushion serves as a seat for visitors.
Giddy with excitement, I spread out my towel, threw down my Indiana Jones style purse and gently placed my hand on the starfish handle and pulled open the door to find a small green notebook inside. I took a seat on the white, worn-out (but comfortable) boat cushion and poured through the pages, cover to cover...
The small notebook was almost filled and the first entry dated March 24, 2010. I imagine whoever keeps up the mailbox changes the notebook often. I read prayers and secrets, confessions and stories. I could relate to some and I felt sad for others. I smiled at the stories of love and wondered what that must be like. I laughed at some of the things people wrote, particulary one entry that said, "Better than e-mail, twitter, facebook, myspace." I was completely inspired by one story of adventure.
With a pen in hand and the notebook on my lap, I sat and let the sun kiss my shoulders and the breeze run over my face. I heard the ocean, roll in and out and I allowed myself to breathe in and out. I found a few blank pages in the middle that seemed to be waiting just for me and filled them with a few thoughts. I found myself wondering what I would do if I ran into someone I knew in this spot or if someone I knew would read what I wrote. I wondered if they would know it was me who wrote it.

If you had looked on page five (or six) you would have seen my note that I left in that very green notebook on March 24th. Neat. In fact, you probably did see it, but I just left my initials.
ReplyDeleteIt's true I did see your note and I do think it's quite neat. In fact, I think it's really neat.
ReplyDeleteMarch 29ish was my note... to my boyfriend and then back to me from him. I live in NC and he lives in NY. We just celebrated one year together after 27 years apart! I can't wait to go back to the mailbox again with him....
ReplyDelete